It's crazy when I start to think about how much has
changed in the last year. Last April Adam & I became engaged. We planned
our wedding, and were married in October. Right around the same time we found
out that we were expecting our little baby boy. We had our first PCS move to
Pensacola,FL just one of many we will have in the future. We moved into our
first actual home, nothing like living in an apartment when were in College.
Adam started training, and I started interpreting...
The other day I started thinking about how things
happen. I applied to Towson as a transfer student (as did Adam) but Towson was
the last school that I sent in an application for. I submitted my application
the last possible day, and never turned in an essay either. After being accepted
to Hunter, and CW Post one with a full scholarship and the other with a
partial- I still wasn't set on going to either of them. When I got my
acceptance letter for Towson I was at work and my mom had opened it up and read
it to me. Still not sure if I wanted to go to TU, never even visiting Maryland
before I setup a weekend to visit the school and was sold on it after the tour.
I sent my deposit in that Monday and started the process to transfer. I think
one of the reasons I had decided on Towson was because I wanted to leave NY, at
the time I thought it would just be a temporary move to obtain my degree never
thinking that when I left home, I would never actually move back. Not something
I ever thought would happen- me, permanently move out of NY? But it was and
still is one of the best decisions I have ever made. By making one
decision out of my "comfort zone" and going to school out of state,
not having any family around completely changed my life. Adam & I met in
August and although we both started at Towson with the thought we weren't going
to date anyone..that didn't really hold up on either end since we started
dating that October. Now, for friends and family that know exactly how we met
know we didn't start off dating, or really even as friends. I always think,
what were the chances that we would end up living in the smallest/ oldest dorm
on campus? We could have ended up in the Towers and probably wouldn't have
met. But as fait would have it, we did and the rest is still history in the making :)
But I truly believe everything happens for a
reason...
I wanted to get out of NY, I wanted to leave behind
part of me. Not in a bad way but, I wanted to start living my life for me.
Before Adam & I met I had dated someone that was toxic and in order to be
the person I knew I was I had to leave. If I stayed home, stayed local I would
have commuted to a class, lived at home, and worked, which was fine the first
two years, but I needed something new. And even though I worked two jobs while
I was at TU I was living in the dorms, then an apartment. I experienced
roommates, both good and bad. I was able to figure out who I was and what I
wanted to do. I think that sometimes living home as a young adult you limit
yourself as to what you want to do with your life. And with that one
decision the day before the cut off for Towson’s applications, I never thought
in a million years I would be picking which direction which way ”my path"
would go. If someone had told me that I would meet the man that I would marry,
and start a family with when I left NY I wouldn't have believed
them...
Now, that it's about 3 weeks until my due date- I just think about how
truly blessed I am to have such a supportive husband. He's so much more than
just my husband, but my best friend, partner, and the love of my life. There
isn't a day that goes by that I'm not thankful that we have each other. We work
together to build and better our relationship and were always attentive as to
what the other needs. Of course we have our disagreements like all couples do,
and that's normal but in the (almost 4yrs) we've been together we have never
had anything more than just that a disagreement and nothing that we can't talk
out. I know that Adam's going to be an amazing father not only because how
amazing he is with me but beause he's had such wonderful parents/role models in
his life. As I know Im going to be a great mom because my mother has always
made sure our needs were met even when it wasn't always easy for her. Sometimes
people will ask me if Im nervous about the baby coming, and I wouldn't say
nervous but more anxious and excited at the same time. Im anxious because its
new- I mean our entire world is going to change...for the better but it's
still a change, and I think that most first time parents are anxious about what
they don't know. Regardless of all of the parenting, breast-feeding, and
birthing classes that we've taken when he makes his entrance into this world we
have to learn everyday what will work for our family. Recently, a friend told
me she has taught herself that what might work one day with her daughter might
not work the next day and that she has learned to grow with her daughter. I
thought thats such a great way to look at all the constant changes. Children go
from babies-teenagers and what might work when their newborns or infants might
not work when their toddlers and teenagers. I know that Adam and I will be able
to grow with our baby boy, and just know that we need to have flexibility. Life
will constantly throw you a curve ball and we just need to know how to handle
those for our family. And as for being excited, I mean come on- were having a baby!! He's mixed with a little of both of us, and we made him. I mean oh my goodness- this little baby boy has been growing inside my belly, and now were down to the last few weeks and at the end of my pregnancy we get to hold him and just love him. We couldn't be more excited. Just thinking about when he's here makes me start to cry. Crazy how you can love someone so much that you haven't even met yet.
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.